January 04, 2013

Notes For My Daugther On Her First Birthday


Assalamu’alaikum Wr. Wbr.

My dearest daughter,

Although I know that you haven’t been able to read, and I realize that I’m far away from you, I personally write this letter for you. Today, on January 5th, I want you to know that I’m so proud to be a daddy for a one year old child, I miss you nak and I love you so much. These are the only words that I want you to know, now or some day, by the time you could read.

The Fall term has passed, I cannot see the colorful leaves and foliage anymore. I believe, if you were here, those stunning leaves must be interesting for you as your bunda said that you really enjoy staring out of the window leaves swaying on the trees. 

Now, it is winter break, it's icy and freezing outside, I don’t go to campus and I am out of reading, paper, research and many others kind of assignments. I found they were all challenging and hard since my English still needs to be upgraded. However, I could say that the current result is not too bad. In this holiday season, I have taken my time for refreshing, though if you were here, it must be more enjoyable, and now I’m thinking of doing my first paper, it’s not a difficult one as the others which my professors assign them to me, just a piece of letter for you.

I’ve just coming from NYC for a short trip. It was a snowy trip since snow fell on the day before the day I left. Mashallah nak, I was really exited looking at the white landscape along the way from Boston to New York covered by snowflakes, the white houses, trees, and hills. Suddenly, on my way in the Fung Wah bus from the South Station of Boston, I got a reminder from your bunda for our 2nd anniversary, it was actually too early, still 3 days afterwards, thanks Bunda, and it eventually reminded me that your first year will be coming soon

Back home from NYC, I spared my time to write this letter and at the same time, hopefully, it will make me not to get shocked for the next papers assignments in the upcoming term. I have a lot of stories about NYC, I visited the NYSE in Wall Street, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Central Park, the Empire State Building, the MoMA, the National 9/11 Memorial, and many others that I could tell you later. The impact of current Super Storm Sandy has repealed me to visit the Statue of Liberty. But, the massacre in Sandy Hook Elementery School in Connecticut didn’t diminish the excitement of happy new year eve at the Times Square in Manhattan. May Allah always protects you and all of children around the world of such disaster.

The Spring Term will be started next week and it will be another one term for me living without you and your bunda. I have to enjoy wrestling with many campus assignments, fighting the extreme cold weather as well as homesickness. It’s really hard, but thanks to the Skype, so I’m still able to see you growing, dancing, singing, clapping hands, crying, watching your little fingers, small steps, and tiny teeth


Really, I see that you have grown and changed so much. And, I’m so happy seeing you pointing out your bunda’s laptop when you are asked about ayah, it’s so funny. The other funny thing is your shout when listening to the song balonku or cicak di dinding, although my difficulty in memorizing those songs often disrupts your expression.  I’m also astonished watching you drawing and identifying parts of your body. And, I will always wait for your perfect smile on the screen of my laptop when I’m studying. 

Have a nice and lovely 1st year my little ones! This must be my thankful day instead of just a birthday celebration, there will be no party or a very special gift, thanks to Allah and your bunda who always take care of and love you. Here, I present this letter for your 1st year as well as a preparation for the Spring term and waking up this sleepy blog. I feel so sad knowing you got fever 2 days ago. May years ahead will be an amazing journey for you in learning, exploring, and having fun. And, may Allah always takes care of you, keeps you healthy and safe,  and also clearly light my way and leads me to be a better ayah.  

Boston, January 4th, 2013
Tangerang, January 5th, 2013 

I love you my sweetheart,
Your staunchest fan
Mmmuuachh.....
Ayah

No comments: